The United Methodist Women
What is our purpose?
The Purpose is adopted by the General Conference of The United Methodist Church as the official mission statement of United Methodist Women.
United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
Out of the Purpose are four mission foci that relate to the mission initiatives and priorities of United Methodist Women.
- To be a community of women
- To know God
- To develop a creative and supportive fellowship
- To expand concepts of mission
The entire program and organization of United Methodist Women focuses on mission. Our mission initiatives include:
- Providing opportunities to grow spiritually
- Equipping women & girls to be leaders
- Providing transformative educational experiences
- Organizing for growth & flexibility
- Working for justice through service & advocacy
- A special emphasis of United Methodist Women is children, because women care for children. If children are raised with safety, security, food, shelter, education, and basic human rights, these children will grow to be loving and secure adults. United Methodist Women believe deeply in responding to Jesus’ mandate to “care for the least of these.”
- Children often do not have a voice in this world, so United Methodist Women cares for them and advocates on their behalf. United Methodist Women commits to children globally through community centers, educational opportunities for refugee children, homes for street children, advocacy against sexual exploitation and child labor, educational institutions and much more.
A special emphasis of the organization has been to involve young women in all the ministries and leadership of United Methodist Women. A teen and college/university women consultative group help direct the program of United Methodist Women to be more inclusive of younger women